Maintenance Instructors expected to vote for representation after strong initial showing of interest
Polls Open: 12:01 AM ET, on May 24, 2012
Polls Close: 2:00 PM ET, on June 14, 2012
download instructions (2-page pdf)
TELEPHONE AND INTERNET VOTING INSTRUCTIONS
Using your confidential VIN and PIN shown on the front of this letter, you may vote using either the telephone or the Internet.
1. Call (toll-free) 1-877-NMB-VOTE (1-877-662-8683).
Text Telephone users (TTY) call 1-866-756-2829.
2. Enter your confidential VIN and PIN when prompted to
do so. Follow the instructions carefully!
3. If you wish to vote for representation, select one of the
– YES. I vote for International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
– YES. I vote for Any Other Organization or Individual. If you choose to vote for Any Other Organization or Individual, you must speak-in the name of a specific individual or organization.
4. If you wish to vote against representation, select: – NO. I vote for no representative.
5. You have successfully voted when you hear: “Your vote has been recorded.”
1. Go to: https://www.BallotPoint.com/NMB/ or go to the NMB’s website at http://www.nmb.gov/index.html and click on “Click here to vote in a representation election.”
2. Enter your confidential VIN and PIN and then click:
3. A ballot for the election in which you are eligible to vote will appear on the screen.
4. If you wish to vote for representation, select the checkbox adjacent to your selection. If you choose to vote for Any Other Organization or Individual, you must write-in the name of a specific individual or organization.
5. If you wish to vote against representation, select the checkbox adjacent to:
NO. I vote for no representative.
6. When you have completed voting for or against representation, click: “Cast Vote.”
7. A “Vote Selection Confirmation” screen will appear which will indicate your selection for representation. To change your vote, click: “Change Selection.” To confirm your vote, click: “OK.”
8. You have successfully voted when you see the message: “Your Vote was successfully registered.”
Your vote must be cast by 2:00 PM ET on June 14, 2012, the day of the tally.
The telephone and Internet voting systems operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, starting at 12:01 AM ET, on May 24, 2012. If you do not receive your VIN and PIN by May 29, 2012, you may contact the NMB to request a duplicate VIN/PIN. Your request must be in writing and signed by you. The request must be in an individual envelope. No group requests are accepted. Requests by telephone or facsimile are not accepted. Mail the request to: NMB, Office of Legal Affairs, 1301 K Street, NW, Suite 250 East, Washington, DC 20005. No requests will be accepted after June 11, 2012. Voting ends at 2:00 PM ET, June 14, 2012, the day of the tally.
If you experience any problems with the telephone or Internet voting systems, please call the NMB at 1-800-488-0019 ext. 5040 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5 PM ET).
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA NATIONAL MEDIATION BOARD NMB Case No. R-7323
An election is being conducted under the Railway Labor Act (RLA) for the craft or class of Maintenance Instructors, employees of United Air Lines, sought to be represented by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and presently represented in part by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and in part UNREPRESENTED.
No employee is required to vote. If you choose to vote, you will have the opportunity to vote for representation by an organization or individual or for “no representative.” The way to vote for representation is to select one of the “Yes” options. The way to vote for no representation is to select the “No” option for no representative. If an organization or individual receives a majority of the valid votes cast, it will be certified as the representative. If 50 percent or more of the votes cast are for no representation, no representative will be certified. The RLA states that elections shall be free from interference, influence, or coercion. It is unlawful for a carrier to interfere with the organization of its employees. Alleged violations may be reported in writing to the NATIONAL MEDIATION BOARD (NMB), Office of Legal Affairs, 1301 K Street, NW, Suite 250 East, Washington, DC 20005.
If you choose to vote, you may do so using either the telephone or the Internet. If you select the option of “YES. I vote for Any Other Organization or Individual,” you must identify a specific organization or individual—either by entering text (Internet) or by speaking your choice (telephone). The organization or individual receiving a majority of votes cast will become your representative even if your vote was not cast for that particular organization or individual. If 50 percent or more of the votes cast are for no representation, no representative will be certified. Please follow the Instructions on the next page. Federal law prohibits knowingly and willfully making materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or representations in any matter within the jurisdiction of the United States Government. 18 U.S.C. § 1001. This includes use of another voter’s identification numbers. Your VIN and PIN are confidential numbers, known only to you and the NMB. To maintain the confidentiality and integrity of the voting process, do not share your VIN or PIN with anyone.